Simple, yet impressive, Cherries Jubilee is a sensational way to end a meal. The sauce is also delicious on pound cake.
Time: 10 minutes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pound fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- Vanilla or chocolate ice cream or other frozen dessert
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat; add sugar. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to brown around edges. Add cherry juice and cinnamon stick pieces. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by half. Add cherries, vanilla and lemon zest. Bring mixture to a boil; stir in apple juice and reduce to syrup consistency. For each serving, spoon generous 2 tablespoons of warm cherries and sauce over ice cream.
- Substitute one 15-ounce can dark, sweet cherries, drained, with juice reserved for the fresh cherries and cherry juice, if you prefer.
Posted by permission from welcometothetable.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.welcometothetable.coop.