It’s time to dust that grill off! May is National Beef Month and Memorial Day is just around the corner. Try your hand at this delicious steak fajita recipe, courtesy of St. Peter Food Co-op Meat Manager Jon.
Tri-Tip Steak Fajitas
- 2 lbs. Tri-Tip steak (save $3/lb at the Co-op through Memorial Day!)
- 2 large limes
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Avocado Slices
- Tomatoes diced
- Cilantro chopped
- Add tri-tip steak to a large plastic zip lock bag. Add lime juice, ¼ cup olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne to the bag as well. Zip up. Massage marinade into meat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat – about 450 degrees. Place a grill pan or sheet on one side of the grill. Once the steak has marinated, remove and sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons of salt on both sides. Add the peppers and onions to a medium bowl. Toss with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and a little bit of pepper.
- Add the pepper to the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add steak on the uncovered side of the grill. Use tongs to toss the peppers. Close the grill. Let the steak cook for about 4 minutes. Use tongs to flip the steak over. Toss the peppers again. If they are charred enough, remove from the grill.
- Cook the steak another 3-4 minutes or until it reaches your desired doneness. For tri-tip steak you really want medium-rare to medium which is an internal temperature of 140-145 degrees. It will increase 5 degrees as it rests. Remove the steak and peppers from the grill. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the steak against the grain into thin slices. Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Tri-Tip steaks are on sale for $6.99/lb through Memorial Day.
Stop by & stock up for everyone’s favorite grilling weekend!