Mother’s Day was established as a public day of thanks by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914. Celebrate Mom this week (and year-round!) with a sweet dessert that goes anytime. A great one for those little ones eager to help!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (or other berries of choice)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry to a 10-in. square; cut into 12 rectangles (approx. 3×2-1/2 in.). Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla and remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, split pastries horizontally in half. Top each bottom half with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and 1 tablespoon strawberries; replace top half. Top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
1 serving: 246 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.