Set it and forget it, and you’ll be so glad when this crockpot full of chili is ready. This meatless classic has a little extra texture thanks to quinoa, which simmers in the black bean broth and gives it body. Cornbread flecked with diced jalapeno peppers makes a tasty accompaniment to this hearty chili.
Total time: 6 hours, 10 minutes; 10 minutes active
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and close the lid. Set the cooker on low and cook for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, test the beans for doneness. If they are not quite tender, cover and cook for another half an hour.
- Serve hot or transfer to containers to refrigerate or freeze.