Spring is in the air! Leave the chilly winter behind you and start swapping out heavy comfort foods for light and tasty dishes, like this springtime pesto pasta with peas and lemon zest. Perfect with halved cherry tomatoes and snips of fresh herbs on top!
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 4 cups lightly packed arugula
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- Process the arugula, parsley, garlic, Parmesan and peas in a food processor until they form a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl twice.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and olive oil and process, scraping down as needed, to make a smooth, creamy pesto.
- Place the pesto in a bowl, and stir in the lemon zest.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with the pesto.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information: 340 calories, 10 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 290 mg. sodium, 290 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 13 g. protein