Total Time: 20 minutes active; 40 minutes total
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 ear sweet corn (2 if small)
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- To roast the corn, heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the husked corn on an oiled sheet pan and roast, turning every 5 minutes until the corn is browned and soft. Let cool and then cut the kernels away from the cob. You should get about 1 cup.
- For the cornbread, heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or grease an 8-inch square metal pan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine. Place the yogurt, melted butter, and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the yogurt mixture over the cornmeal mixture and stir until almost mixed, then add the roasted corn and story just until the ingredients are combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before serving, and cut into 9 squares.