Creamy avocado serves as “nature’s mayonnaise” in this amazing egg salad. This rich sandwich filling goes great with all kinds of bread—on a fluffy brioche roll, between two slices of hearty rye, or tucked into a whole-wheat pita with lettuce and tomato. You can also serve it as an appetizer with an assortment of crackers or toasted slices of whole wheat baguette.
Time: 25 minutes
- 6 large eggs
- 1 large avocado, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Place the eggs in a medium pot, and add cold water to cover them by an inch. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a full rolling boil, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 14 minutes.
- Drain the eggs, rinse with cold water, then place the cooked eggs in the refrigerator to chill completely. When cold, peel, rinse and chop the eggs. Place in a medium bowl.
- Halve the avocado and remove the pit, then scoop half of the flesh into a large bowl. Mash thoroughly, then stir in the lime, salt and chipotle powder.
- Add the scallions, celery, jalapeño, cilantro and chopped egg, and stir. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut the remaining avocado half into cubes in the shell, then use a spoon to scoop the cubes out into the salad. Fold into the egg salad, and serve.