Brighten up your meal with this sweet potato side, accented with tart cranberries. This not-quite traditional side dish is a natural accompaniment for roast turkey, pork or chicken, or savory meat alternatives like braised tempeh. It also holds up well on a buffet table and is easy to bring along to a holiday potluck.
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 large sweet potatoes (3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Place the whole sweet potatoes on a sheet pan and bake until tender, about 30 minutes, then let cool. Strip off the skins and cut potatoes crosswise, into thick slices, placing them in a 9×13 pan, sprinkle the cranberries over the sweet potatoes. In a medium bowl, stir the coconut milk, maple syrup (if using), cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt, then pour over the sweet potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, stir the almonds, coconut and coconut oil, then sprinkle over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Serve warm.