Grilling caramelizes and intensifies the sweetness of nectarines in this outstanding salad. For a vegetarian option, try cubed soft cheeses like mozzarella, brie, or fontina. For a vegan option, try any type of olives or nuts like pistachios, almonds or walnuts (with or without salt or toasting).
Time: 30 minutes
- 6 nectarines, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Heat the grill to high. Brush the cut sides of the pitted nectarines with olive oil. When the grill grate is hot, use tongs and paper towels to rub vegetable oil on the grate. Place the nectarines, cut side down, on the grill. Cook until marked, about 2 minutes, then turn. Cook for 1 minute longer, just to soften. Remove to a plate to cool.
- In a cup, whisk the remaining olive oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Reserve. In a large salad bowl, place the arugula and basil and about half of the dressing and toss to mix. Top with prosciutto and grilled nectarines. Drizzle the remaining dressing over it all and serve immediately.